I set out to make a cute pair of matching dresses for the girls this spring. I wanted navy and yellow but never found a print that I liked, so I improvised. I used a navy fabric and added yellow accents: an inset in the bodice, lining, a ribbon belt, and a chiffon ruffle.
And I’d seen this ruffle-like inset at various places on other dresses. I never did find a free tutorial, so I had to guess how it was made. I made a ruffle, then gathered the other side of the panel as well. I stitched them into the bodice and hoped for the best. It worked, I think.
This dress was definitely a work in progress for a long time—my first vision of it had sleeves and piping and a trim at the bottom, but as I laid the pieces together, I didn’t like those things. I also originally tried tulle on the bottom but I didn’t like the color. And I tried four different options for the ribbon belt. I mean, it’s just a piece of ribbon. Yikes.
The pattern I used (which includes pleats in the skirt—fun!) was New Look 6957.